Sunday, September 13, 2009

Web 2.0 features, for home and work. What can the Web do for us?

I looked at Twitter because up until this point i had scorned Twitter in favour of Facebook. I have resisted the urge to Twitter because i am sure my computer savvy friends get enough information about me that they didnt really want as it is without "microblogging" 20 times a day!

I can see how it would be useful at work because people say that it can provide new tools, links to websites and quick answers to questions, if the library Twittered and it got enough of a following we could twitter to followers what is happening, where to find reviews, what new books and DVDs we have just got in etc

I didnt actually sign up to Twitter because like i said earlier, Facebook takes enough of my time as it is. And while i am actually bored with Facebook, it still is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends all aroudn the world - it maintains a connection where there otherwise may not be, and i guess Twitter is the same. Twitter has been in the news alot and "everyone" (eg anyone who is anyone) is talking about it. This could mean it is a good tool for the now, but what of the future, will the followers get bored, will sonmething new take over as the new Twitter?

I like this quote from the Top 100 website "Big jump since last year. I learn something new several times a day and stay connected with people that form my most valuable network. This is the one tool I would choose if I could only keep one (as long as everyone else kept it also!). Barry Dahl " He makes a good point, these types of programs and networks rely on being the in thing, there are so many of them that have come about recently, will this mean some will drop off and the people who use the unpopular ones will end up losing their network of friends andHAVE to join another site?

I understand there is a program that you download to your computer to manage your Twitter account so you can see who is following what and who is doing what. Imagine having to have a computer program that manages your social life - and on a computer. Who is getting out and seeing and talking to their friends these days??

Ffrom a job point of view, it would be great marketing tool for the Mobile library to tweet is location add photos of the bus parked in beautiful locations (all taken on nice sunny Bay of Plenty days of course) and it could link to the timetable on the library website like a "where are we right now" sort of thing. Maybe google maps could be added as well so a patron could see exactly where on the street we are!

On second look of Web 2.0 features i looked at Google chrome. I use this at home because its speed and because IE would no longer let me upload photos to facebook - the flash player seemed to halt the process every time. I like Chrome because it saves you from typing in any internet addresses as it is a little like predictive texting, it predicts from a few letters what you want to look at - even if you have never been there before. It also will do a comprehensive search of the Web from the address bar. I often do recommend this to friends because of its psychic ability. Using Chrome at work would be great, i just think its a bit more user friendly than IE - and it lets you use the features of websites that IE sometimes isnt compatible with.

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment